The 37-year-old man killed by flying gas bottle in a freak accident during Sydneys storms on Tuesday night has been named as Hoong Leong. The married man from Chatswood, on Sydney’s north shore, was on his way home from drinks with a colleague at The Rocks when police believe a gust of wind blew a 9kg gas bottle from a balcony above.
Mr Leong was struck on the shoulder but died from his injuries a short time later.
Me Leong worked for an online gaming company and was outside the Malt Shovel Taphouse when the accident occured.
He was speaking and concious after the incident and taken inside where paramedics were called, however he then went into cardiac arrest, the Daily Telegraph reports.
NSW Ambulance Superintendent Kath Rallings said Mr Leong received fractures to his right arm, collapsed lungs and injuries to his hand during the “one-in-a-million” event.
“This is a freak accident and a tragedy for this man’s family and friends,” she said. “He was in cardiac arrest when (paramedics) arrived at the scene.
“It’s very rare for someone to survive a traumatic cardiac arrest.”
NSW Police Detective Inspector David El-Badawi said earlier the bottle likely came “from a nearby apartment”. He stressed that it fell from “a very great height”.
“It didn’t hit him in the head. It hit him in the shoulder. From his injuries he’s passed away,” he said.
“We think it’s come from a nearby apartment. If anyone is missing a gas bottle, we just need to know the circumstances behind this man’s death. It’s a tragic incident.”
Police said the person Mr Leong was with “is understandably not doing well but he’s assisted police”.
Det Insp El-Badawi called the man’s death “a freak incident” that took place as “a massive storm” hit the city.
He said the victim was helped by the owners of a nearby premises before he stopped breathing. He was taken to St Vincent’s Hospital but pronounced dead on arrival.
A crime scene has been established on Harrington Street and investigators have appealed for anyone with information to come forward.